Upcoming Events

Lever

The Student News Site of Palmer High School

Lever

Lever

Palmer Science Students Dominate at the Science Fair

Palmer’s student researchers had an AMAZING showing at this year’s Pikes Peak Regional Science and Engineering Fair! We sent eight students, which accounted for about 30% of all high school participants. In addition to our students, the D11 delegation consisted of one Mitchell student and two North students. You can see all of their projects here. Please help me congratulate:

• Alita Alvarez (senior): The lasting impacts of a Montessori Education
  • Emma Bahr (junior): Iron Deficiency in Female Athletes
  • Lucas Hudson (sophomore): Effects of Ibuprofen on growth of basil plants
  • Natalie Muro (sophomore): Effects of Mooring Systems on Submerged Point Absorber Wave Energy Converters
  • Samuel Penney (senior): What age is the best to learn to ski?
  • Abby Vallejo (senior): Effectivity of Isolated v. Community Training with Betta splendens
  • RJ Williams (senior): Can Quasars create “dark” Stars using the Dark Matter they Absorb?
  • Cami Wolkow (sophomore): Just When You Thought Beer Couldn’t Get Any Better: Engineering an Eco-Friendly Brewing Yeast
Palmer students combined for a total of 16 Special Awards from various local, state, and national organizations, bringing home hundreds in cash and prizes. Additionally, two students won category awards and invites to state science fair in Ft. Collins:
  • Cami Wolkow: 3rd Place, Life Science
  • Natalie Muro: 1st Place, Engineering, Math and Computer Science
To be successful in science fair, the “science” only takes students so far. It’s also about the creativity of the research idea, the design and flow of the poster, how articulate the oral presentation, quick and logical thinking to answer a judge’s question, understanding the data processing that was done, and so much more.
Please congratulate these students and the Palmer staff that inspired them!