Upcoming Events

Lever

The Student News Site of Palmer High School

Lever

Lever

The Story Behind Indie Games & How We Can Make One

Art by Bean Gaming

The reason we love playing video games is because they have good story telling & great character development, if we didn’t have any of that stuff video games wouldn’t be so interesting. 

Internet Source- 

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/making-an-indie-game-about-indie-game-making 

In this article, we won’t be talking about just plain old video games, we’re talking about Indie Games and why they are still popular today. 

The word indie is short for independent, so that would mean that indie game is Independent Game. “Why is it called that?” Well, the word Indie is short for independent, which means either there’s only one person working on a game which is a lot of work for them, or it’s just one developer and his friends or family; like with Studio MDHR (The Creators of Cuphead) it was only 2 brothers who wanted to make their own video game together. Honestly, making a game & getting it finished is kind of worth it. We have all those great games that were made by great people, like Cuphead, Undertale & Bendy. 

Indie games have that kind of good quality vibe, that’s the type of vibe I get from them every time I see or play them. If you want to make your very own Indie Game, you probably might need tips and the right equipment. 

Skills- 

If you want to make your own game, you need to have Skills for coding and drawing. You can’t just find someone and ask them to do the coding, they probably want to get paid doing that kind of stuff, so you must learn coding on your own, especially for drawing, the reason Indie Games are worth playing because how good the art is, if you want your game to be successful you need to learn or practice drawing, if you want to learn how to code you should use Scratch for coding, once you get used to it you’ll be able to code anything. (Note: You don’t need any experience to make a game of your own.) 

Software- 

You need software to develop your game, but you need one that is for beginners not any of those professional ones like Unity, Unreal or Godot. You must start simple like a software where it has simple coding like for example Scratch, that’s an easy and simple way to start making a game. 

Experiment- 

I heard that you need to experiment with coding so you can make your game how you wanted it to be. Try all kinds of ways after a few different tries, you’ll get used to it and are ready to start making your game. 

Story- 

If you want your game to be successful, you probably need to come up with a story & some Lore. Most of the games I know and played have some extraordinary story & Lore… Lore is a backstory of your world, like for example lore can talk about the creator of your world, what the past used to be, how a certain event happened or how a war started. And another thing your characters need to have their own personality and probably a backstory including the main characters, that’s why in most games some of the characters are likable and popular, if you want something like that with your characters give them a good personality. 

Publish- 

When you’re finished making your game and you want others to play it, you need to find a platform where you can publish your games on like Steam, Game Jolt, Banana games, Kickstarter & Itch.io.