Upcoming Events

Lever

The Student News Site of Palmer High School

Lever

Lever

Why We’re Lucky To Have Megan Moroney

Megan  Moroney is a relatively new country artist most well known for her hit songs “Tennessee Orange” and “Hair Salon. She is a selfproclaimed “emo cowgirl” who writes songs about her bad taste in men and her life growing up in Georgia. At 25, she released her debut album Lucky. On October 19th, 2023, she played her 10th show on the Lucky Tour, in Denver at the Bluebird theater. The great thing about lesser-known artists who play at small venues is that their shows are much more intimate, and, of course, the lines are much much shorter.

I went with one of my good friends and we arrived an hour before the doors opened and the line was only about ten or fifteen people long. I was immediately impressed with the kindness of the Bluebird Theater employees, and their ability to make friends with the people waiting in line. It made the hour-long wait seem short, and everyone was happy and in a good mood.

Once we made it into the venue, we made a beeline for the front so we could be as close to Moroney as possible. After the doors were open there was another hour long wait before the opener came on. But it was the nicest crowd I had ever been a part of, everyone complimenting others and meeting new friends. People were singing and dancing along to the music playing over the speakers, and it was an overall fun time.

But of course, nothing was as fun as the moment she came on stage. I don’t think I have ever heard screams quite as loud as I did that night (and I even went to The Eras Tour so that says a lot.) Even though she was up on stage in front of everyone, I could tell she was a genuinely kind person, and so fun to be around.

As well as singing the entire Lucky album, she also sang “Tennessee Orange,” “Hair Salon,” and a cover of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” And of course, her songs were ten times more amazing live. With the crowd singing along,  her neon signs in the background, and her band who were clearly having the time of their lives, it was a truly incredible concert.

For some of the songs she played them entirely acoustic. Just her and her guitar. Those parts really showcased her raw talent and beautiful voice. The non-acoustic parts were amazing as well, and the crowd was so happy and excited. One of the unique things about Megan is her amazing songwriting skills and ability to connect with her fans.  

Even though it was a small concert, the intimacy was one of the best parts. And I will look back on it as one of my favorite concerts for the rest of my life. And Megan Moroney is bound to be one of the most successful female country artists of our time.