Upcoming Events

Lever

The Student News Site of Palmer High School

Lever

Lever

New Year’s Resolutions

Picture+credit%3A+Zickry+Gutierrez+New+Years+eve+taken+in+Chihuahua%2C+Mexico+
Picture credit: Zickry Gutierrez New Years eve taken in Chihuahua, Mexico

As the clock strikes midnight any city comes alive. With the excitement from the new year coming in. For the people who do celebrate new year. Many different people celebrate It all begins on December 31st. People gather with their loved one and friends, on new years eve. Some celebrations people do are different depending on their own traditions. There is the famous count down that is done in NYC time square New years eve ball drop. The traditional toast everyone does before the clock strikes midnight. The colorful fireworks. The lucky grapes, you kiss or hug your loved one your loved one. Now for those of us who are superstitious, people wear certain colors for example yellow is for money, love, you wear red, or you eat 12 grapes under a table while the countdown is happening, white is for peace and many more reasons. Some people do not shower because they say it washes away your fortune. They clean their house because it takes all the negative energy out. They walk around with an empty suitcase around their house so there is a chance you will travel in the new year. Carrying and hiding cash everywhere for prosperity. At midnight you eat twelve wishes making a wish for each month.

Why do people celebrate new year’s? It is a good way to start off the new year with positivity and love and being with the people you love by starting and ending the year with them. They celebrate to start their new years revolution their new goals for the new year. Some new year revaluations are working out, having a healthier lifestyle, being prominent, growing out your hair, read more, quit smoking, reduce stress and improving mental health. Some people find it hard to start and quit new habits. Here are some ways to stick with your new year’s resolutions. Making sure it is an easy goal to stick with and fits with your lifestyle. Make it a realistic goal. For example, plan in a planner, journal, calendar. Have constant reminders. Track yourself. You need to give yourself time to get used to the habit and always make sure your positive with it. Reward yourself when you reach it.

There is some psychology behind it. New year resolutions “activates hope and expectations for what we hope to achieve going forward” with a new year comes a “sense of renewal” says phycologist Mariana Strongin. “As humans we are driven by the feeling of mastery,” Strongin says. “So rather than making a goal of ‘becoming fit,’ I would make the goal of ‘working out three times a week for at least 45 minutes each time.’ By breaking down the goal into quantifiable measures, we are more likely to feel good about ourselves and even more likely to continue.” This shows that not only do you need to motivate yourself, but you have motivate your brain as well.

No matter how you choose to celebrate your new years or go about your new years resolution. Never feel judged there has got to be someone else going through what you are. Surround yourself with people who will motivate you and keep you on track.